Anyone who has been on a diet knows that losing weight is not only physical a physical process, it’s also a mental process. It’s not easy, and we know you can use all the help you can get so below are 10 weight loss tips for not only the physical aspects of losing weight but the psychological ones as well.
1. Get Some Exercise Contrary to what you might think, you don’t have to become a total exercise freak in order to make exercising effective. In fact, exercising has many other health benefits so even if you’re not a burning a lot of calories you will be toning muscle and doing something healthy for yourself. When you start eating less calories, your body immediately goes into fat storing mode so adding in some new exercise is important because it can help to boost the burning power of your metabolism to counteract this.
2. Know Your Ideal Weight This is a more psychological tip than physical and it can really have a big impact on losing weight. You want to be realistic about your ideal weight, don’t go by what you’re really skinny friend says should be your weight because it’s an individual thing and it is affected by how tall you are as well your bone structure. If you set an unrealistic goal you will always be disappointed which will probably lead to over eating!
3. Take A Photo Do you hate seeing how you look at a photo? Most overweight people do, but photos of yourself when you are fat can be really motivating. What’s even better, is if you have a photo of yourself when you were thin you can put the two side by side and use them as motivation.
4. Plan For Success One reason why a lot of people fail on a diet is they simply do not plan to have the right kinds of foods around. If you are restricting calories, or eating only certain food groups make sure you have plenty of these around so when you get hungry you do not reach for something that is not on your food plan. If you are counting calories, be sure that you have something with you to keep a running total at all times, otherwise you may find out at the end of the day that you’ve overdone it.
5. Learn To Read Labels Reading food labels and knowing what you’re eating is pretty important not only to make sure that you’re eating things that are healthy for you but also to make sure that that low-carb granola bar really is low-carb. A lot of times food items are very loosely labeled and you need to read the list of ingredients as well as the calorie and vitamin specifications on the side to really know what you are getting.
6. Learn To Substitute Chances are that no matter what kind of diet you are on there are going to be some foods that you love that you won’t be able to eat. Luckily there are substitutions for almost everything and you just need to find the ones that work for you. For example, if you are chocoholic, you might consider substituting low-fat hot chocolate instead of a candy bar.
7. Be Firm With Friends It might be a little awkward at first but you need to let all your family and friends know that you are trying to lose weight. Many a diet has been sabotaged by a well-meaning friend who insisted that just one piece of birthday cake won’t kill you. Let them know you’re trying to lose weight and ask them for their support.
8. Get Support Sometimes joining a support group, either online or off-line can really help. A lot of people find that talking to people who are going to the same thing can keep them motivated.
9. Drink Water How many times have you heard that weight loss tip? But it really is important besides being really good feel, water will can he help keep you feeling full. In fact, sometimes when you think you are hungry it is actually that you are dehydrated. Drinking water helps to balance the body and flush out toxins. If you add some slices of lemons and squeeze the juice into the water it gives little tank and the lemon helps to stave off hunger pranks.
10. Make Up Your Mind To Lose Weight the most Important tip that I can give you is to actually make up your mind that you want to lose weight. Don’t sabotage your diet by thinking negative thoughts right from the beginning. Even if you’ve been on many diets and failed, you can do it! So just get started - there’s no time like the present!
These 10 weight loss tips will hopefully help you in your journey to lose weight but remember you want to do it in a healthy way and in a way that you can keep up for the rest of your life. Don’t think of it as dieting, think of it as a new healthy life long way of eating!
About the Author
Lee Dobbins writes for Low Carb And Diet Resource where you can learn more about healthy weight loss and get some great weight loss tips.